Saturday, February 16, 2013

Surviving 100 Days!

Well, what can I say? Being a kindergarten teacher is NOT  piece of cake!  Although, I must say it is all worth it!

As many of you know, this year has proved to have many challenges (and I know there will only be more on the way).  I have experienced stress on a whole new level.  However, I am blessed to say that I teach 20 happy, healthy, and pretty much perfect children 5 days a week.  Yes, I know what you are thinking.  They are not perfect.  But, in all honesty....neither am I!

This year, God has shown me just how imperfect I am.  He has put me through many trials and through all of them I have had no choice but to turn to him.  On many occasions, I thought I could fix things myself, I know what to do to help....wrong!  I've found that in each situation things don't seem so bad when you turn them over to the Lord who is sovereign.  I would love to tell you all the ways I have seen God work in my children and classroom but as I am sure many of you understand, teachers are very careful about what they share. 

However, I can tell you about the ways I have seen God working in my life.  Being a teacher has to be one of the hardest jobs in all the world (if you have never taught then you cannot argue that with me).  A teacher does so much more than teach.  In fact, teaching is such a minor part of our job.  For 8 hours a day, I take part in raising and caring for 20 lives.  Talk about scary!  But the job does not end after that 8 hour day. Most afternoons I stay at school until about 5:30/6, and I don't always have work when I get home but I always have worries.  What if the children don't make the progress they need to? What if they don't get this concept? What can I do to review this? The list could go on and on.  For those that know me well, you know I tend to take worry to an extreme.  God has humbled me through this.  He has taught me that I can worry all I want to or I can just bow my head and talk to him.  It always amazes me how much peace God can provide in our worries when we just take time to communicate with him.  No, he does not always give me some fabulous idea of how to teach new concepts but he does give me the confidence in myself to figure it out.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:6-7

Because I am a teacher, I do not make a lot of money (I know that so many of you are under paid and I feel your pain).  Many of you know, I love managing my money.  I do not like wasting money and I do not like spending money.  This has caused many tears this year and many long conversations on the phone with my mom, trying to figure out how in the world I am going to make my money last an entire month.  Some how I always make it until payday rolls around.  Want to know why? Because I have learned to trust God with my money.  I have tithed since I was a child.  But, always because that is what you are supposed to do.  This year, I have really felt God calling me to give not because that is what I am supposed to do but because I desire to further his kingdom.  I am so thankful that God has called many to serve in positions where they directly share Christ with others.  They are doing the job that so many of us do not feel called to do.  However, if God opens the door for me to serve him as a missionary or any way where I can directly lead others to Christ....I am ready to go!  I realize that as long as I am giving my time and money to those that God has called, he will only care for me in my time of financial need.

"Do not store up for yourselves  treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matthew 6:19-21

I could go on and on about all the things God is doing in my life and I am sure I will share some of these other things in later posts but there is one final thing I would like to tell you.  This year I have really felt God preparing me for something more.  I have no idea what or where but I feel he is constantly reassuring me that he has got a plan I would have never even fathomed.  I am very confident that I am exactly where he needs me right now and I am doing exactly what he wants me to do right now.  But, I cannot wait to see what this year and these experiences are going to lead me to.  One of my favorite stories to read in the bible is the story of Esther.  God placed Esther in a position as queen so that she could help save the Jews.  Had God not made this plan, then the Jews may have no longer existed which meant there would have been no Jesus.  See....aren't you glad God is in control and knows what he is doing long before we do!!! (If you have never read the book of Esther please do so!)

For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish.  And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?  Esther 4:14

So this long post brings me to my title! I have survived 100 days of worries, stresses, tears, and much more! I give all the credit to an amazing God who never lets me down.  This year has come with many challenges but I am so ready to know why he has brought me to where he has.  One day I hope to look back on this and say "And who knows but that you have brought me to this position for such a time as this."  As long as I trust in my Lord, he will help me understand, in his timing, what he is preparing me for!

No comments:

Post a Comment