Well, it is probably pretty obvious where the name of my post came from. It is a phrase I use at least 100 times a day (and no that is not an exaggeration). Five days a week it seems like all I say is look at me, listen to what I am telling you to do, are you doing what I asked, stop talking, the list could go on and on. Like any human being, I become very frustrated with repeating myself over and over and over. In fact, I often joke with my TA that I should just record myself and play my voice saying the same things over and over again on repeat. I have a lot of patience when it comes to working with 5 and 6 year olds but no amount of patience could keep you from getting frustrated on some occasions. But, my frustration is not the sad part of this story.
The sad part of the story is that in so many ways I am just like a 5 and 6 year old. I wonder how many times God gets frustrated with me because I DO NOT listen and follow his directions. I would say more days than not, God probably wants to record himself telling me the things I need to hear and make me listen to them on repeat.
So often, I spend a lot time praying to God. I ask for wisdom, I ask for special requests, I ask for healing, etc. But, I must admit that I do not spend enough time listening. Why is that we expect God to answer our prayers but then refuse to listen to him when he tries? Why do we let ourselves get so caught up in what we want, that we forget to ask God what he needs from us?
My friends, it is really quite simple.
God tells us in his word to seek him with every part of us.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13
He wants us to put our eyes on him and listen.
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27
He promises to give us directions through scripture.
For the word of God is living and active. Hebrews 4:12
And then we are expected to follow his directions.
Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant will also be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. John 12:26
Why do we make things so hard for ourselves?
A rule that I enforce in my classroom everyday and expect my kids to follow is a rule that I myself must work on. It is time for me to be quiet, put my eyes on God, and listen.
Your insight is right on target. As humans we are so stubborn sometimes. God makes it simple. Sin makes it complicated....and we let it rule our lives. You are right if we keep our eyes on Him we can do anything. This mother is so proud to see what God is doing in your life. Each day I see you growing more into the Godly woman He wants you to be and the glory is to Him. I love you more everyday!
ReplyDeleteMom